Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church
What we aspire to be – our vision: Rooted in God’s Grace, always made new.
We will strive to be new, fresh, adaptive, inclusive, warm and welcoming. We will be multi-generational, relevant and ministry driven. Always made new, just as God makes us new each day!
Why we exist – our mission: Living as the hands, feet, and heart of Christ.
We are reminded that we are stewards of Christ where ever we are; we are active in outreach for each other and our local and global communities of Christ.
Our Vision and Mission align with – our promise: Rejoicing together in God’s grace, hope, and love.
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed in Hastings with 33 charter members in 1871. The first church was a small wooden frame building constructed in 1873. It stands as a private home at 308 9th Street W., one-half block east of our present church. In 1931, the congregation voted to change it’s name to First Lutheran Church and to hold worship services in English rather than the Swedish language.
In January 1952, Ludwig Johnson pledged a large financial gift to build a new church. This congregation, now known as Our Saviour’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, pitched in to help build a new sanctuary to seat 250 persons for less than $100,000. The new building was dedicated on November 21,1954. The sanctuary could seat the entire baptized membership of the congregation.
In 1971, the congregation celebrated it’s 100th anniversary with a membership of 1400 members. In 1974, the baptized membership had increased to 1465 and the congregation agreed to construct a new Education/Fellowship Building. The enlargement of the church facilities allowed for the growing education, youth and fellowship needs of the congregation and community. However, there was still the need for 3 or 4 weekly worship services and there continued to be a lack of administrative and fellowship space. A Building Committee was formed early in 1983 to investigate and plan for construction of an addition. In 1986, ground was broken for the construction of the new addition at a cost of $1.6 million and was dedicated on July 12, 1987.
Our 125th Anniversary was celebrated in 1996 with a full year of opportunities to remember and thank God for those times when we have given bold, courageous, and tenderhearted witness to Jesus Christ. A Church is many things: “It is you and I and those we Love, and the stone and brick and wood shaped that in its walls, the Christ as Living God, is praised.”
Although we will always be Our Saviour’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, most refer to us fondly as, ‘Our Saviour’s’.